Thursday, May 13, 2010

Shirring is not my strong suit

Here's the story about my first experience with shirring. My daughter was going to her BFF's birthday party. And In my madness of preparing for my trip to Delaware I completely forgot about a gift for her to take to her friend. My first thought was how can I be so forget full, and leave on a vacation and leave my daughter empty handed {terrible mom moment}
and what can I whip up quickly? My girlfriend had an idea about making a shirred summer top, she said they come together easily and take no time at all. I ran to the fabric store, picked out fabric and came home. With my friend at my side, we started sewing. But half into it I kept asking why isn't it doing anything? She said sometimes you have to wait till your done and go over it with a steam iron, then it will pucker up. But no it didn't. After a while we got frustrated, and ended up just pulling every single thread and sewing in elastic.

I'm not sure what went wrong, we think it's my machine. I read just about every tutorial out there about shirring and did everything right. If anyone has had similar problems or knows the solution, please share!!! Never the less it tuned out adorable and you can't tell my frustration in the end result.


2 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job! I have only shirred once for a dress for my Bella when she was a toddler...never again! It wasn't worth the trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I've heard some machines have a way to adjust tension on the bobbin when shirring...there's a screw that needs to be tightened or loosened. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some Love

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails